Saturday, June 5, 2010

A Bit O' Trivia

I came across this and thought I'd share a bit o' trivia with you. Guess who said this: “No, I don’t know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.” Give up? It was George Bush...no, not George W, but his "daddy!" The interview was done by a man named Robert Sherman. He interviewed Bush in '87 while campaigning for presidency. Here's a snip of the interview:

Sherman: What will you do to win the votes of the Americans who are atheists?

Bush: I guess I'm pretty weak in the atheist community. Faith in God is important to me.

Sherman: Surely you recognize the equal citizenship and patriotism of Americans who are atheists?

Bush: No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.

Sherman (somewhat taken aback): Do you support as a sound constitutional principle the separation of state and church?

Bush: Yes, I support the separation of church and state. I'm just not very high on atheists.


Need I say more? This thought permeates the right-wing base. The thought that American government only exists for the Christian Americans, and everybody else might as well step out of the voting lines, as their voices are not important. Last I checked, we are a nation that believes that EVERYONE is equal...believers and non-believer alike! It's the things that make you say, hmmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment